Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Hunting!


Ha ha bet no one would ever have thought this would happen. I did it....I went hunting! I actually always go down to Viroqua while the boyfriend does the hunting thing...usually I stay in the house making goodies and what not. I have gone out and helped try to "drive" the deer...who ever thought of that should be shot instead of the deer. This year however I had the luxery of taking my "brother inlaw" (not really, this is boyfriends brother) Brad out hunting. He is in a wheel chair and can't go by himself. So being the super cool person that I am or maybe am not, I took it upon myself to volunteer to go out hunting with him. Everyone else hunts and the normal person who would go with him is part of the huge family feud! So had I not volunteered I don't think he would have gotten to go. Now here is the thing, what I didn't know was that I didn't just get to drive him out to his "stand" and sit and wait for these infamous creatures. I actually had to learn to set him up...what!!!! I had to put his mount for the gun on his chair, adjust it so it was on there just so, and load the gun! OMG, I have never done this! Anyway, it was interesting.
What I learned:
1. Everything is a myth when it comes to hunting.
2. There is no "good" time to hunt
3. Hunting really is boring just as I had thought
4. Brad loves to talk...thought this was a quiet sport
5. It is possible to fall asleep during this activity
6. The woodland creatures can be very noisy
7. I think the woodpeckers send out S.O.S signals to the rest of the woodland creatures
8. Brad's Stand is in the middle of the Woodpecker Bermuda Triangle
9. The deer know when you exit (hence the tracks all around my tree after the morning trip out to the tree stand)
10. Deer see in black and white so apparently I didn't look like the "Great Pumpkin" that I thought I looked like!
PS on a side note, we went back down to Viroqua the weekend after Turkey day so boyfriend could hunt again since the deer had left on vacation the weekend before. Somehow I got con'd into going out with Jamey...what I learned, I don't like sitting 16 feet up in the air on a metal bench that is held on to a tree that is only about 8 inches in diameter...and by the way the deer were still on vacation...at least for us!

No comments: